July 10, 2015 the Polka Dot Mama Melanoma Foundation became incorporated and by September of 2015 we were granted non-profit status. Since that time, we have grown and evolved into a foundation that I am very proud of. It has been an honor to work full time, pro-bono for a cause that is so near and dear to my heart.
Thanks to an amazing board of directors, our dedicated nursing interns, talented dermatologists, a strong group of volunteers and an incredibly supportive community we have been able to achieve many great things and our work has only just begun!
The Polka Dot Mama Melanoma Foundation (PDMFF) funds research, raises awareness and educates the community about melanoma—the deadliest form of skin cancer.
Here’s what we’ve done in the last year with donations from our generous community
- Funded melanoma research for two Duke medical students
- Screened over 550 patients for skin cancer, identifying skin cancer in 15%
- Launched the Shade Shuttle, our mobile skin screening bus
- Educated over 400,000 people worldwide online and in person
- Attended over 50 awareness events providing education, free sunscreen, UV bracelets and educational material
- Produced three educational videos
- Installed sunscreens dispensers in local communities
The Polka Dot Mama Melanoma Foundation is an active member of the Melanoma Action Coalition and Tracy serves as a member of the Steering Committee as well as the Chair of the Patient Outreach/Advocacy Committee.
The team at PDMMF is hard at work planning the 2019 Taste For a Cure Gala to be held April 29 in Raleigh. Tickets will go on sale soon….stay tuned!
Our success is a result of your support! The future is bright in this fight against melanoma.